Craving a pizza but don’t want to spend a fortune on a takeaway? Try this homemade pizza recipe to replace your next Saturday night takeaway – you won’t be disappointed. I’ve included ideas for toppings below but feel free to experiment!
Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- 250g wholemeal flour
- 1 teaspoon dried easy use yeast or 1 sachet fast acting yeast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 200ml warm water
- 120g grated cheddar or mozzarella
- 4 tablespoons tomato puree
- 4 teaspoons dried mixed herbs
- Toppings of choice
- Pre-heat the oven to 220C.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, yeast and oil and mix together. Gradually add the water, mix well and knead for 5 minutes to form a dough.
- Put the dough in a deep bowl and cover with cling film for 1 hour. The dough should double in size.
- Split the dough into 4 and roll each portion out thinly over a lightly floured surface.
- Spread a thin layer of tomato puree over each pizza base and sprinkle on the herbs.
- Add your toppings and sprinkle on 30g cheese on each (try not to overload the pizza)
- Cook in the oven for 10-12 minutes and enjoy!
Topping combination ideas
BBQ Chicken – swap out the tomato puree base for BBQ sauce, add cooked chicken slices, red onion and peppers
Hawaiian – add some tinned pineapple chunks and sliced ham
Peachy Pizza – add some tinned peaches, caramelised onions, peppers and rocket
Spicy – instead of mixed herbs add some chilli flakes, along with some spicy tofu pieces, peppers, onion and spinach and drizzle with some chilli sauce
Greek – use goats cheese instead of mozzarella or cheddar, add some tomatoes, onion, olives and rocket and drizzle with an extra teaspoon olive oil
Veggie supreme – add onions, peppers, sweetcorn, mushrooms and tomatoes
Up your fibre by adding extra veg toppings such as diced cherry tomatoes, sliced bell peppers, mushrooms, sweetcorn, rocket, spinach, red onion, olives, pineapple or peaches.
Up your protein by adding some chicken slices, diced veggie sausages or chopped spicy tofu pieces.
You can make the dough ahead of time or batch cook by freezing the pizza bases ready for topping another day.