Sweet, sticky and incredibly satisfying. This healthy sweet and sour recipe is vegan, low in fat and contains 3 of your 5 a day. It’s easy to make, it freezes well so is perfect for batch cooking, and it tastes better than a takeaway!
Time: 20 minutes Serves: 2
- Olive oil
- 2 bell peppers, cut into chunks
- 1 red onion, cut into chunks
- 1 tin of pineapple chunks in juice (keep the juice!)
- 30g light brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons of tomato ketchup
- 2 tablespoons of reduced salt soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- Tofu, cut into chunks
- Rice to serve
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 5 minutes until softened. Add the peppers and pineapple chunks.
- Add your tofu and cook for 10 minutes, turning regularly.
- Whilst the tofu is cooking, in a jug add the pineapple juice from the tin (around 150-200ml), the sugar, ketchup, soy sauce and rice wine vinegar and stir well with a fork.
- Add the contents of the jug to a small saucepan and cook over a medium heat whilst stirring regularly until just simmering.
- In a small bowl or mug, add the cornflour and 1 tablespoon of water and mix. Add this to the sauce and stir well for 1-2 minutes. You should start to see a saucy consistency.
- Add the sauce to the frying pan to combine all of the ingredients. Serve with wholegrain rice and enjoy!
You can make the sauce on its own with the veg and freeze it to give you more flexibility when batch cooking. Just defrost and add your protein of choice such as tofu or chicken.